Wednesday, January 6, 2010

About how long does it usually take to get temp work in Portland

How long does it usually take to get temp work in Portland?
I'm relocating to Portland (Oregon) and want to do some temp work for awhile when I get there. I've heard that the economy isn't necessarily doing that great there right now. So, does anyone know how long it generally takes before getting temp assignments? A day? A week? Months? If you've temped before (even if not in Portland), how long did it take to get your first one? I'm not too picky about what sort of temp work I'd be doing. I did recently graduate with bachelor's degrees in business and finance, if that would help me at all. Bonus points to anyone who might know what a normal wage for a temp job in Portland might be! Thanks!
Portland - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
It really isn't that hard to find temp work in portland, especially in the business field. However, the pay isn't that great usually between $9-$15. I recommend checking out portland.craigslist.com and look under the jobs section to kind of get and idea of what is available, and what they are paying. Good luck to you.
Answer 2 :
I'm working as a temp at the public library, you get paid somewhere between $8.00 to $10.00 generally speaking. I applied on the first of last month, got a call interview in 3 days got the job within a week and half. I have never volunteered or worked before. And I work 6 hours a day 5 days a week. The $9-15 salary is usually for permanent workers since my co-worker who is permanent gets $14.00/hr. I'm applying at a grocery store(WinCo or Haggen) and TriMet where the seasonal part tim employee gets paid about $11.00 an hour with no expirience necessary. After 3-6 months you get a $2 raise. I graduated high school 2 years ago, I got okay grades, never had any experience in any sort of work, since you're a college grad, you'll probably get in easier.
Answer 3 :
You can get a job in one day. Check Craiges list, there are several different classifications wanting employees. The average wage is about $11. per hour for temp work. Some pay very well and some pay minimum wage with no relation between the difficulty of the job and wages.

No comments:

Post a Comment