Sunday, November 6, 2011

About while working in Portland Oregon, should I live in Vancouver, Wa or Portland for tax purposes

While working in Portland Oregon, should I live in Vancouver, Wa or Portland for tax purposes?
I am relocating to the Portland area for a new job, I will be travelling all over the Portland area to work. My family now resides in Washington, I will be alone for the time being. The tax question is at hand, along with the fishing!
Portland - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
well since you will be working in oregon you will pay state income tax, regardles of where you live. if you purchase stuff in washington then you will have to pay sales tax, but food is not taxed, and for big ticket items you can always come to oregon and buy it. there are many stores right across the river. personally i think washington has better schools, and a better way of life which includes lower homes. so if you can do without spending a lot of money in washington that is taxable you should be fine and would probably enjoy life more.
Answer 2 :
While it is true that you will pay Oregon state income tax for working in Portland if you plan on owning a home...live in Vancouver. The property taxes are half what they are here! I own Window Tint King, a Portland Window Tinting company here in Portland and that's the main reason I haven't moved up to Vancouver. But to give you an idea how bad it is here my property taxes are $4,800.00 a year on a house valued at $325,000. That's about double what you'd pay in Washington. Another thing to consider, though, is in Oregon there is no sales tax. In Washington there is. I hope this was helpful.
Answer 3 :
if your decision is based on the sales tax, remember that while vancouver does have sales tax, it is lower than the rest of washington, i believe, because it's so close to oregon.
Read more other entries : 

No comments:

Post a Comment